Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Boston Sculptors Gallery: Small Works








In 2008, I sculpted the Elephant Princess out of a piece of white cedar that was given to me by my friends in Weston, Massachusetts. The finished piece was 19” tall and I took the wood sculpture up to CaddEdge in Londonderry, NH where it was scanned in 3D using a hand held laser device. The digital file was then manipulated in Sensable 3D software with a haptic device and sent to a 3D printer where it was printed at ¼ scale, approximately 6” tall. These limited edition 3D prints were fabricated out of gypsum, sand and an adhesive resin composite.
This rapid prototyping technology allowed me to create my artwork at a smaller more intimate scale. The abstraction and simplification of these figures added a new dimension to my sculptural vocabulary. Making this body of work meant satisfying my curiosity about new media, new materials and new possibilities.
This fall I will be exhibiting four of my small scale limited edition 3D computer prints at the Boston Sculptors Gallery in the front windows. My work will be on view from September 2010-December 2010 in this new mini gallery space that was designed to feature small works by artists who are members of the gallery. Save the date for the upcoming SOWA First Friday receptions on September 10, October 1, November 5 and December 3 from 5-8pm. Boston Sculptors Gallery is located at 486 Harrison Ave., Boston, MA 02118, Tel. 617-482-7781, Email: bostonsculptors@yahoo.com, Website: www.bostonsculptors.com.

Images: Elephant Princess, 19" tall, wood, 2008; E.Princess, 6" tall, 3D print, 2010; Elephant Nun, 32" tall, wood, 2007; E.Nun, 6" tall, 3D print, 2010; Pregnant Kangaroo, 29" tall, wood, 2006; Pregnant.K, 6" tall, 3D print, 2010; Lilac Rhino, 27" tall, wood, 2003; Lilac.R, 6" tall, 3D print, 2010.

No comments: